Danforth Village's namesake artery, Danforth Avenue, was named after an American Contractor who built Kington Road in 1799, but strangely enough, it is not known whether he had anything to do with the busy street that now bears his name. What land was north of the Danforth was land originally owned by the Church of England. The land south of the Danforth, on the other hand, was not held by the Church and owned by various families who either ran farms or owned brick-making businesses. Annexed in 1908, the Village was subdivided and Bloor and Danforth were connected through the construction of the Prince Edward Viaduct which in turn encouraged the Luttrell Loop, a street car terminus for the Bloor-Danforth, Gerrard and former Coxwell streetcar routes.
Homes in the neighbourhood can be said to continue the house styles found in the Upper Beaches and the southern section of East York. Typically built in the 1920's and 1940's, the homes range in design from small to mid-sized two to three bedroom semi-detached and detached homes, one bedroom bungalows and some townhouses. North of the Danforth, the semi-detached homes have distinctive front porches for street-watching and south there is more variety with a few Victorians thrown in to the mix. Sturdy brick examples of Edwardian-era homes are found mostly on the western edge of the neighbourhood.
Monarch Park is a large green-space just south of the Danforth and it features a variety of facilities and year-round activities including an artificial ice rink, a swimming pool and wading pool. Located at Gerrard and Main Streets, The East Toronto Athletic Field has a good number of sports-fields and the Ted Reeve Indoor Hockey Arena is situated just nearby. The Earl Beatty Community Centre is just north of the Danforth and has a gymnasium and indoor swimming pool. Parents of young toddlers and preschoolers will find many entertaining programs and courses at the Danforth/Coxwell Public Library.