Bayview Village Toronto Real Estate
Formerly a part of North York before being amalgamated to the greater city of Toronto in 1998, Bayview Village was a small rural farming community in the 1800's. One of the first settlers was Thomas Clark, an influential member of the community and father of seven children and the Clark house, built circa 1885 and situated at 9 Barberry Place, is the only structure that remains from Bayview Village's pioneer days. The plan and layout of Bayview Village was very much influenced by the East Don Valley Parklands and Dr. E.G. Faludi, the man responsible for the layout was quoted as saying: 'We will fit the community into the landscape and not the landscape into the community.' Faludi also designed Rexdale, Thorncrest and Humber Valley neighbourhoods and he employed a curvilinear street pattern meant to follow the natural contours of the land and was designed to highlight the natural beauty of the neighbourhood.
The majority of Bayview Village's homes were built between 1954 and 1964. The variety of housing here includes raised and executive ranch-style bungalows, split-level houses and Georgian Revival-style homes, with most being originals with some infill housing within the area. There are are many prototypical suburban villas which are mostly, garage-fronted, two-storeys and brick. Condo towers can be found in the area south of Sheppard and in the land south of Sheppard and north of Highway 401 and proves to add a different touch to the existing suburban and low-rise architecture in the area.
The North York YMCA is the largest recreational facility serving the area and is located at 567 Sheppard Avenue East. Programmes offered include a play gym and swim lessons for preschoolers, gymnastics, karate, swimming, basketball, aerobics and yoga. The facilities include a gymnasium, a dance studio, a conditions room, and two swimming pools. Making its way through the centre of the neighbourhood from Finch Avenue down to Sheppard Avenue is the East Don Parklands Trail, perfect for hiking, jogging or bike-riding. There are many parks in the Bayview Village area with nearly a quarter of the space being green.
Bayview Village has two public high schools, Earl Haig and Avondale Alternative. The two public schools are Bayview Middle School and Elkhorn and there are three catholic schools, Blessed Trinity, St. Gabriel and St. Martha. Bayview Village's planner, E.G. Faludi had high hopes to fit the community in to the landscape and a quick stroll down streets that inevitably lead to a peaceful park, will prove that he did his job and the residents of the neighbourhood of Bayview Village benefit.