The Annex Real Estate and Neighbourhood:
The 'Annexing' happened in 1883 when the village of Yorkville petitioned to be a part of the greater city. A few years after that, developer Simeon James created a subdivision he called the Toronto Annex, an area which later became a part of Toronto in 1887. Some of the first residents were the head of Eaton's Department Store, Timothy Eaton and George Gooderham, owner of the Gooderham And Wort's Distillery. What was said to be a 'Golden Era' in the area's history lasted until the early part of the 1900's when the upper classes began to move northward to newer suburbs on the rise, such as Forest Hill and Lawrence Park.
A popular style of house of these elite still typifies the area and can be known as the Annex-style house. The most well-known architect in Toronto at the end of the 19th centure was E.J. Lennox and he had a design borrows touches from both the American Richardson Romanesque and the British Queen Anne Style. They typically sport large round Romanesque arches along with decorative items seen in the Queen Anne style such as turrets with the attics emphasized in the exterior architecture. As the original wealth owners moved out of the area, most of their homes were subdivided in to apartments.
The main shopping strip around these parts is Bloor Street where one can find everything from high-end boutiques to a handful of quirky and one-of-a-kind bookstores and food markets. It is one of the main arteries of the city and the stores that you find in this section reflects the diversity and uniqueness of the population itself. The Annex is a central draw for people of all walks of life who come here for the diverse flavours of restaurants, cosy cafes for people-watching and the lively and assorted bars and nightclubs.